With the Fourth of July falling on a Saturday this year which allows us to visit family and to have some real rest and relaxation. I hope everyone will enjoy the holiday and be aware that the police are calling for No Refusal when it comes to Driving While Intoxicated. The Fourth of July (and other holidays) there tends to be an unfortunate rise in people operating motor vehicles after drinking. The numbers don’t lie: DWI and DUI rates dramatically increase when there is a holiday. Drivers should be prepared when encountering a DWI checkpoint and follow the general guidelines described below.
- Approach a checkpoint with caution at a safe, slow speed.
- Never attempt to quickly turn around to avoid the checkpoint. This will likely trigger a traffic stop anyway.
- Never attempt to exit your vehicle during a checkpoint inspection.
- Remain respectful and courteous to the officer, and he or she will likely return the respect.
- If you are arrested, your best bet is to contact an experienced DUI/DWI attorney like The AMS Law Group.
Learn more about The AMS Law Group.